Thursday, June 4, 2009

June 3rd in Guatemala - Day at School

After brunch we took the boat across the lake to the village of Santiago.
Friends of my sister live there and they have 4 children.
We walked to the school to pick them up at 12:45.








The local school runs from Febuary through October.


The students are getting out of school. My sister's friends' children attend this school.

Can you spot her. She is in first grade. The school is only taught in Spanish and at home they speak English and also learn a local native language.
I wonder who is directing traffic for thses students?


The school is a mile from town. This looks like a school bus.

For just a few students, a ride home in a tuktuk.


Vendors outside the school.

I asked about behavior at school and the children told me that the teacher hits them on the head with a stick if they misbehave or they are made to stand in front of the class and hold books above their head for a period of time. Hmmm..... should we do that at our school?


After school this is what we are having for lunch. Flat Stanley got a bit warm helping make tortillas. Tortillas are being made. Soup with rice and chicken will be served. This is the outdoor oven. Watermelon for dessert. Yum.





The youngest child wearing the typical dress of the area. She is 2 years old. On PE days they wear long pants.




Check out the strap on the forehead to help support all the wood.




Still more beautiful flowers.

To all my McLaughlin students this is your last day of school. Have fun and have a great summer reading lots of great books. Don't forget to brush your teeth and make your beds.

2 comments:

  1. Looks like you and Flat Stanely are having a great time. I am enjoying the picutres very much and I have seen some of the classes following your adventure. Take care and most of all HAVE FUN, ( and yes I did brush my teeth and made my bed).
    LaNita

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Mrs. Marshall! We hope that you and Flat Staley are having a fun time in Guatemala! We have enjoyed looking at all the beautiful pictures:) Flat Stanley is lucky to be there with you...
    Remember to brush your teeth and make your bed...we did today!

    Love you and miss you,
    Miss Hill's class

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear from you.
Please leave a message.